Friday, February 29, 2008

What difference "current tech" makes!

Well ... that's just lovely ... suddenly Eschatos is able to actually walk through doorways and stuff without bashing into the doorframes and having to back up and try again ... and everything in-world is so pretty (and I've not even installed WindLight yet)!

Yes, we got our new computers this week, and while I am insanely frustrated with the typical transitioning-between-computers headaches, I now have a box with a quad-core processor, 3 gigs of RAM, half a terabyte of HD storage, and an overclocked GeForce 8800 with 512meg of video memory!



I'm also hoping to have an upgrade finished on my home system by the end of the weekend ... I'd gotten a GeForce 7800 for that, and tried to install it last weekend, but I got nothing but a blank screen. It seems that the 350w power supply that was listed as a minimum requirement wasn't quite the whole story ... it turns out that the damn card needs a 20amp rail, which was way beyond what my system had (and was mentioned nowhere on the box). So, I had to throw more $$$ at it, but lucked out that TigerDirect had a 600w power supply with one 20amp and one 18amp rail on an insane sale (more than half off), so I ordered that and now have it sitting waiting for another expedition in amongst the wires.

What does this mean for you, my intrepid readers? Well, it could make for a lot more machinima showing up here! Stay tuned.

P.S.: If you click through to the full size image of that pic, it sure looks like Eschatos has had quite enough coffee this morning! heh ...

No comments: